The site of the town has been occupied from ancient times; it is noted in Julius Caesar‘s book about the Gallic Wars. Centuries later, it became an important place under the French monarchy, as a royal hotel. It would also be used as a post relay, the first one on the road to Fontainebleau. It became a major road and railway junction in the 1840s after its railway station was built in 1840, and after 1893 was the first city surrounding Paris with a bridge crossing the river Seine.
Most of the city was destroyed in April 1944 by an Allied bombing as the city was the only one surrounding Paris that had such a big railway station and had railway lines going to most of France’s major cities. It was then rebuilt between 1945 and the 1970s.
The city is today known for Gare de Juvisy, the fourth largest and most-frequented railway station in the Paris area